Friday, January 23, 2009

Grab the Pepto

Your gonna need it.
Have you ever seen the site Totally looks like? Their site features celebrities and other famous people that look kinda like something else. They have some pretty cool pics like this:
jack-black-tll-angry-puppy
see famous look-a-like faces

and this

Scarecrow Totally Looks Like a goat
see famous look-a-like faces


Cute huh? Ok here is one for the news buffs:
This Funky Cat Totally Looks Like The Funky James Carville
see famous look-a-like faces

Prepare yourselves........

Funny right? Then I saw this:
Mechanically Separated Chicken Totally Looks Like Strawberry Soft Serve
see famous look-a-like faces

Did you see that??? The pink stuff on the right is strawberry soft serve ice cream, the one on the left is mechanically separated CHICKEN!!!! Gross!! Then I got to looking into it , because surely it don't look like that does it? I mean come on, I read labels it didn't sound that bad- ok well maybe it did but I was tired and fed it to my family anyways, and besides Slim Jims tastes good and my kids like Vienna sausages. Then I read what the USDA said about it:
MECHANICALLY SEPARATED MEAT
is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones with attached edible meat under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue.
OK that is gross. Then I came upon Damn Interesting a pretty interesting site- here is what they had to say:
A primary ingredient in Slim Jims and many other food-flavored solids, the name conjures images of plucked chicken carcasses being tossed into a giant machine that rips the flesh from its bones, and grinds the remains into mush. And coincidentally, that's EXACTLY what it is. It comes out the other end as a gooey paste. No doubt it will be the same consistency when the hospital's stomach pump mechanically separates the chicken from me.
Then I read some of the other things on their site - gross but interesting. Right now I am pretty grossed out.

I think I will show it to the boys when they get home. Knowing them they will say "cool" while looking at it and ask where the slim jims are and if we can grill hot dogs for supper. Teenagers!

Happy dining!

8 comments:

Julieann said...

OHHHHH, Angie!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW--Thank you for the eye opener on this.

Julieann

Angelena said...

Pretty gross huh?

Carol Murdock said...

Gross is an understatement ! We watched " How It's Made" awhile back and got grossed out after watching Bolonga being made! Same deal......a gooey blob! My favorite sandwhich is bolonga, sliced onion, sliced dill pickle with mayo! So needless to say.....
I wish I had turned the channel !

Judy T said...

I have never been a fan of hot dogs or bologna, even when I was little. It's a texture thing. I stopped eating hot dogs all together a long time ago after I read somewhere what the allowable percentage of insect parts and rodent hair was in a hot dog. My allowable percentage is 0!!! That does look really gross! I'm glad I don't eat that kind of food.
Judy

Farmchick said...

Okay that is gross!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet message too! Glad my dip and breadsticks recipes went over well for you!!!

Hope you will stop by again soon!

Tatersmama said...

Ewwwwwwwwww!*URP*
The funny thing is that even though I now "know" this, it just never seems to sink in, ya know?
I want a hot dog with onions and cheese so bad I could almost taste it right now.

Anonymous said...

since I've always been a city-kid I thought, O goodie, now i can learn about country life a bit (and I'm Dutch - somehow country-life and city life is not that different there), but the chicken story really grossed me out!

other subject, since you like knitting and crocheting, my next blog (next week or so) is about my fingerless mitts - they're a lot easier to make than it looks like!

Barbara said...

Hilarious! Until um.... EW!!!!! *laugh*