Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Homemade Sloppy Joe mix

I went into the grocery store today. I think the prices are raising daily. Each time I go to get an item the price seems outrageously high.
Take for instance Manwich Sloppy Joe mix in the can. Today for a Large can (enough to do 2 pounds of hamburger - they wanted $3.75 for one can! There was no way I was paying that - I knew all I had to do was google "Homemade sloppy joe mix" and I would have a recipe that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg.

Here is one I found at RecipeLink.com

HOMEMADE SLOPPY JOE SEASONING MIX

1 tablespoon instant minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon green pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight. Label as Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.

Makes 1 package (about 3 tbsp) of mix

TO MAKE SLOPPY JOES:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 pkg (about 3 tbsp) Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix
1/2 cup water
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
toasted hamburger buns

Brown ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease.

Add seasoning mix, 1/2 cup water, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: