The Dollar Stretcher has a great article on Frugal Spring Cleaning. Here are tips:
All Purpose cleaners:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of borax and 5 cups of hot water. Add 1/2 cup of dishwashing soap and 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix well. Great for general clean-up.
- If your cutting board is made of wood, you can clean it this way. Once every month or so (depending on use) sand lightly. Rub a small amount of olive oil into the board. Never immerse into water.
- To make your faucets shine, put a couple of drops of olive oil on a dry rag. Spray faucet with club soda and wipe dry with the rag. It will spot less too!
- Mix 2 cups of vinegar with 4 cups of hot water. Add 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil acts as a disinfectant.
- Add 1/4 cup of borax to hot water. Add 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap and 1 cup of vinegar. Fill the rest of the bucket with warm water. Add your favorite essential oil to the mix.
- Spray club soda on the window and wipe dry.
- Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1 cup of water. Spray the mixture on the window and wipe dry.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with half a pail of warm water. Clean the windows and wipe dry with a lint free cloth
- When weather permits, open your windows.
- Add 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil to a cup of baking soda. Mix the oil into the soda and place in a decorative box. Another idea is to dip a cotton ball in pure vanilla extract and place in a small dish. This tip works best in small spaces, such as drawers, closets, and bathrooms.
- For Kitchen odors: Place a small dish of vinegar near the kitchen odor. The vinegar will get rid of it for you.
- Place your favorite citrus peels in a pot. Cover with water and simmer. It will freshen your kitchen and the rest of the house all at once.